Sunday 30 May 2010

Where's the fish?

Todays little project was to fit my new fish finder. The plan was to run up on the beach, wait for the tide to go out and fit the transducer. Low tide was just before 6pm so I went for blast around the harbour first. F4-5 forecast, which shouldn't be a problem. Rigged and ready to go I went forward to release the mooring... back at the tiller and the mainsheet had dropped off?!?!? There was no sign of the shackle but the pin was rolling around the cockpit floor. I temporarily lashed it back together and headed off for deeper water. Jelly Bean was on her side with full sail up so I headed for ther lee of the island and put in two reefs and dug out a new shackle for the mainsheet. Even with two reefs in she was was trying to round up.... I think the forcast was a tad wrong.


Back at the club I dropped the anchor in the shallow water at about 4pm and waited for the tide to go. Enough time for a cuppa and to watch the wind surfers and Kite surfers.


I got all my tools and bits n bobs together and when the tide was fully out I made a start.


The Garmin 140 Fishfinder come wath a transom mounted transducer and an adaptor for strapping to a trolling motor. The trouble with the fantasie is that the transom is rarely in the water so I had to find another way to mount it. The leading edge of the skeg seemed to be the best place as it is protected from knocks by the keels. I slot drilled the skeg to accept the tie wrap and p clipped the cable along side. Plenty of Sikaflex was applied to stop water getting in behind the GRP.

I routed the cable up through the outboard well and through the hole for the petrol pipe. The tide was coming back in fast now so I cleared my tools away and wired in the head unit. It all appears to be working fine. I just need to decide where I'm going to mount it.
There no stopping me now.... I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I find those pesky fish.




1 comment:

  1. Clever, very clever... new battery bank needed next for all this electronics equipment you've got installed... :o))

    ReplyDelete